Check out these volunteer and donation opportunities in Del Rio Texas!
This has been a rough year for so many people; I don’t have to go into details as to why. As we round out 2020, the holidays are almost here and we all know how this season can be stressful in normal circumstances. So, instead of stressing about ourselves this year, I thought it would be awesome if everyone did a few things for others!
As a transplant to Del Rio, I found my self looking around for things to do, and ways to help or get involved. I was unfamiliar with a lot of organizations and with the continued doom and gloom of COVID hanging above everyone’s heads, I figured we all could use some goodwill in our lives. After many phone calls and web searching, I have compiled a list of places and organizations in and around Del Rio that need donation items or volunteers- especially during this unorthodox 2020 Holiday Season.
Below is a list of places in the Del Rio community that need donations or volunteers.
Please check it out, and see what/where you can help this 2020 Holiday Season!
*All info has been verified by the organization, but if you see something that is incorrect or know of any other great places that could use some assistance, PLEASE let me know! I contacted many places with no responses, but I am always looking to update this list!
- Amistad Pregnancy Care Center– This Christian based organization assists pregnant women with counseling, and pre/post pregnancy services. They are in need of baby/kid clothes, diapers, wipes, shoes, maternity clothes, toys, books, nursing/feeding supplies. Items can be donated during business hours. >>> http://www.delriopregnancyhelp.com/ <<<. * Immediate Needs: baby blankets, bottles, wipes, and size 4 diapers.
- Val Verde Border Humanitarian Coalition– This organization actively supports refugees in our community with a facility, items they need and food. Donations they request are gently used suitcases or duffel bags, zippered/buttoned coats or jackets, diapers, pre- packaged snacks, and HEB or Walmart gift cards. There are volunteering opportunities available to help sort donations and clean facilities. For more info about volunteering, please message their Facebook Page >>>https://www.facebook.com/VVBHC/ <<<or see attached form on website >>> https://vvbhcoalition.com/?fbclid=IwAR2uk8UpYOFI7_j4B1bJMifkjAW6zAg5xF-GTa_beu90N0WDdvfketEbo9k <<<
- The Garden Library– This is a free lending library located on Laughlin AFB that also participates in quarterly used book sales. All proceeds from the sales go to a local Del Rio organization in need. Donations: Books of all genres and age ranges! For drop off information, message the library at >>>https://www.facebook.com/thegardenlibrary <<<.
- Repurposed for a Purpose– This unique thrift shop, located on Veterans BLVD, works directly with the White Stone Ministries and directly supports orphanages in Mexico! >>>https://www.facebook.com/revron209<<<. Almost any types of donations are accepted including clothes, toys, furniture or home decor. Donations are accepted anytime store is open. Also, don’t forget to come shop at the store and get some unique treasures as amazing prices!
- Talecris Plasma Center– Give the gift of life! Help us all fight against Covid-19 by donating plasma is this season. For more information about donating, please call or check out >>>https://www.grifolsplasma.com/en/-/delrio-tx<<<
- Laughlin AFB Thrift Shop– Located on Laughlin AFB, this thrift shop is operated by the Laughlin XL Spouses Club. Donations of clothes, toys, household goods and more can be made on most Thursdays from 5-8 pm. Follow their Facebook page for changes to donations days >>> https://www.facebook.com/LaughlinThriftShop <<<Volunteers are needed on sale days so please message the Facebook page for more info. Proceeds from the thrift shop go towards scholarships, and supporting the LAFB family community. Don’t forget to stop by and SHOP too!
- Faith Mission International, Del Rio– As stated on their website, Faith Mission is a “…a mufti-faceted ministry based on evangelism, discipleship, leadership training, planting new works, forming and working in teams, presenting the gospel of love, power and God’s manifest presence. We believe God has a plan and purpose for every person including you.” >>>https://www.faithmissionintl.org/about-us. <<< They are accepting donations of clothes, shoes, toys, small household items ( not furniture or large items) and non-perishable foods. You can drop off donations at their drop box on 2903 Frontera Rd from 9 am- 6 pm daily.
- Val Verde Loaves and Fishes- This organization helps get food to those in need. Because of the pandemic this year, they are unable to host major meal events and monetary donations are desperately needed! Check donations can be mailed to: P.O. Box 420125, Del Rio, TX 78842. Volunteers and non-perishable food items are also needed MWF 9 am- 12 pm at 400 Aguirre St, Del Rio, TX 78840. For more information about volunteering, please contact Gisele Lenz at 830-719-0122.
- Laughlin XL Spouses’ Club- Cookie Caper- They are accepting cookies and volunteers to help spread joy and treats to the airmen at Laughlin AFB! This is a great way to get the kids involved too! See their sign-up list>>> https://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080444a9ad23a4f85-cookie17 <<<for more information about how you can help!